In today’s market, global mobility continues to be an important strategy for companies wanting to achieve business goals and growth in the US and abroad. In order to serve our clients with excellence, we must be surrounded by MVP’s that can help us deliver in this fast-paced disruptive economy. Building great partnerships not only helps us serve the customer, but also helps us create a larger platform to share our story with more people around the world. The more we share, the more we can educate the mobility community on the importance of managed mobility services and deliverables available to help make the employee relocation a better experience for both the employee and the family. Together, we can make a difference!
Today, I want you to meet Caroline Carter, CEO Done in a Day, Inc. I was recently introduced to Caroline Carter and her book “Smart Moves” by my friend Lindy Chapman. After reading her book, you understand both the passion and compassion Caroline has for helping families in transition. I am honored to share this interview with you and even more excited to share that she will be one of our 2019 keynotes at the North Texas Relocation Professionals Fall Mobility Conference in Dallas, Texas on October 3. This is a great opportunity to meet Caroline and learn more about Smart Moves! Come join us!
Now let’s meet Caroline!
- Name: Caroline M. Carter
- Company: Founder/CEO Done In A Day, Inc. Author, SMART MOVES: How to Save Time and Money While Transitioning Your Home and Life.
- Where were you born? Tinton Falls, New Jersey
- How did you get in this industry? I sold several of my own homes and moved 11 times over the course of my life and realized that there is a better way to approach the sale of a home and move to a new location. By understanding the emotionality of the process and its effect on the decisions you make will determine the quality and success of the transition. Based on my 14 years of experience, the key to successfully transitioning homes is to break away from the old ways of thinking. Consider the sale of the home and the move as one continuous process rather than two, separate, unrelated events. My first “project” was to help a family friend who recently suffered the unexpected death of her husband leaving behind my friend and her two small children. She was emotionally paralyzed and asked me to coordinate her move across country and settle her into her new home. From that first project I started a company to educate and empower families to create smooth transitions from one home to the next.
- How long have you been in the industry? Since 2005 Done In a Day has successfully partnered with over 2000+ real estate agents and relocating families to educate and guide them through the emotional and physical process of preparing their home to sell quickly and at top dollar while preparing for the move at the same time.
- What do you enjoy most about this industry? Being honest, while providing truth, clarity and emotional support during each step of this stressful life-changing event. Empowering agents and families to successfully collaborate to create a smooth home transition for the relocating employee and/or family.
- Describe your services:
- We create a buyer-biased interior/exterior visual and cosmetic assessment of house and property to create a task list of potential updates to sell.
- We provide a customized roadmap to get the house ready to sell which includes timeline of work to be completed, house preparation to get the house ready to sell, organization, packing and moving.
- We partner with real estate agents and/or relocation companies to prepare the house to sell and partner with moving companies to deliver household goods.
- We are an emotional partner and advocate for each family.
- Are there different levels of this service for different levels of employees? The total home transition process is the same for every relocating family regardless of location and price point of house, however, not all projects require each of the services that we offer. Each project and family are unique, so we tailor our proposals to complete the entire suite of services offered by other relocation service providers. We are always focused on saving time and money, in order to maximize the sale and move.
- Do you offer this service available nationwide? Yes, current technology allows us to connect with relocating individuals and families anywhere, who understand the need for emotional guidance and support throughout this process.
- What are 5 things a corporation should know about this service?
- Our home transition services address the logistical and emotional needs of the entire family, including pets, from the sale of the house through the move to the next house.
- Our unique Total Home Transition process combines the preparation to sell a house and the organizing and packing for a move into one continuous and integrated process.
- Our clear, concise step-by-step guide allows each relocation project to progress with its unique scope and schedule.
- Our goal is to help the homeowner save time and money in order to present The Perfect Listing™ for sale.
- We collaborate well with other strategic partners.
- What is the average cost or investment in this service? The initial investment of $495.00 secures a personal consultation with me and a copy of my SMART MOVES book to each relocating employee. Upon completion of the consultation, a follow up proposal outlining the scope of the project, task list, schedule and recommended services is sent for review. Often, the consultation and book are enough to empower and support the family to successfully transition. For others, services provided can run from several hundred dollars for follow up calls to thousands for on-site family and project management and support.
- How are you different than others? Done in a Day understands the importance of and impact of our emotional attachment to our homes and life when faced with selling and trying to move on. By working with families to understand the fear and anxiety associated with change and letting go we are able to acknowledge, guide and support the decisions they make that impact their relocation experience.
- Why should companies use you versus giving the employee money? The companies will ultimately save time, money and unsuccessful relocations by partnering with a company that focuses on creating an emotionally positive relocation experience overall. By educating the relocating employee and family on what to expect during each phase of transition and providing them with the emotional tools to feel more in control of the process and empowered to succeed. This will ensure that each member of the family’s needs is addressed. Most relocating families need an emotional advocate to see them through the entire process-from the moment they accept the transfer until the last box is unpacked in their new home. There is no better investment in your employee’s future success.
MVP Final Round:
- Favorite Book: I read for both business and pleasure daily across many different genres, 2-3 books per week. My favorite book is whatever I am reading at the time.
- Favorite Quote: “Shoot for the moon even if you miss, you’ll land among the stars”-Les Brown
- Something people don’t know about you. My favorite drink is Diet Coke in a can over ice with a lemon wedge.
- Best advice someone shared that you also share with others: Leave it all on the field and don’t be afraid to give it away.
- Personal or Professional Goal you would like to achieve in next 5-10 years: To become a recognized expert and a household name for home sellers, as well as relocation companies and real estate agents, as an advocate and a resource partner, helping them understand that there is an easier way to approach this life-changing process and emerge successfully on the other side while making the best use of their time and money.
Outstanding! So many great takeaways including this great advice. “Leave it all on the field and don’t be afraid to give it away”… Oh, and I’m a diet coke fan too! Thank you for sharing, Caroline! We appreciate your insight and service you provide each client to help elevate the experience for anyone relocating. You are truly a Relocation MVP! For more information on Done in a Day, visit https://carolinecarter.com/ or send Caroline an email firstname.lastname@example.org .
Caroline Carter is the founder and CEO of Done In A Day, a Washington D.C. based home transition company that has moved everyone from the Who’s Who in politics, business and media. She is a frequent guest on TV and radio where she discusses how to take the pain out of moving. She has just released her first book SMART MOVES – How To Save Time and Money While Transitioning Your Home and Life. Follow her on LinkedIn and Facebook.
This interview is by Bruce Waller, CRP, PHR, SHRM-CP, Vice President, Armstrong Relocation and Companies in Dallas, Texas. If you have questions, or would like to recommend a Relocation Professional to be featured in Bruce Waller’s Relocation MVP’s, call 972-389-5673 or email email@example.com. You can also sign up for the weekly blog and read in “A Relocation Minute” at www.brucewaller.com .