The 78th annual HRSouthwest Conference is just around the corner starting on Sunday October 27 and goes through Wednesday October 30, at the Fort Worth Convention Center in Fort Worth, Texas. The theme this year is “TRUST IN HR”. This is the official State of TEXAS SHRM Conference and will be filled with opportunities to grow in your profession with educational sessions, networking opportunities, and the latest in HR resources located in the marketplace. As I get ready to pack and plan my navigation strategy through this massive event with more than 2,000 HR practitioners, speakers, sponsors, exhibitors, volunteers and guests, I want to share a brief check list that might help you get ready to make this week fun, productive, and a great experience over the next 4 days…
10 things to think about as you plan your conference experience…
- DOWNLOAD the HRSouthwest Conference App called HRSWC… Go to App Store and type in HRSouthwest Conference…the app will appear as HRSWC (official social media hashtag). You will be able to see attendees, speakers, schedule your breakout sessions, and keep up with conference activities for next 4 days.
- Bring your business cards. You will meet some of the most amazing people during the conference and you will want to exchange cards for follow up. There is also a huge marketplace with close to 200 exhibitors featuring HR products and services. Most of these exhibitors will have a drawing for fun prizes too!
- If you are new… make sure to attend the New Attendee Orientation on Monday morning at 7am. This is a great place to meet new attendees before the opening general sessions begins. I am leading a team of 20 this year. Send me a note if you want to join us!
- Check out this year’s keynotes! On Monday, David Horsager CEO and Best-Selling Author of “The Trust Edge” will open the conference and on Wednesday Carla Hall, Bravo’s Top Chef competitor and past co-host of ABC’s lifestyle series “The Chew” will close the 78th conference with her story “Trusting Your Authentic Edge”.
- Bring your phone charger. You will want to keep your battery charged to keep up with all of the activities, and posting on social media. Use hashtag #HRSWC!
- Want to hear a hall of fame speaker? Check out Art Lambert’s session, The Three Horned Steer: Interplay Between the ADA, FMLA and Worker’s Comp, Monday, from 10:15 AM – 11:30 AM.
- Have questions???? Go to the Welcome Center. There are volunteers standing by to answer questions… Just look for the BLUE SHIRTS! I look forward to seeing you there!
- Looking for a great HR Resource? Check out the SHRM Bookstore located in the marketplace.
- Need coffee??? There is a Starbucks across the street at the Omni! There will also be some coffee stations positioned at different times throughout conference
- Lastly, join us for the opening “Kickoff Mixer” on Sunday, then stick around after conference session on Monday for the Welcome Reception in marketplace, and Tuesday evening for the closing reception. This is a great opportunity to network and build relationships, or as I like to say, drive in the carpool lane.
Are you ready? What did I miss? Share in comments below…
There is still time to register for conference... Trust me when I say this conference is going to be another special week of learning, and connecting with some of the best in HR. Stay tuned for more….
Find Your Lane and Accelerate to Fort Worth Convention Center! See you there! #HRSWC
Quote of the week: “Comfortable is the enemy of awesome.” Jennifer McClure
Call to Action: Download the conference app and start browsing sessions, speakers, exhibitors and more for best conference experience… See you in Fort Worth!
This has been A Relocation Minute on “10 things to plan for HRSWC 2019” with Bruce Waller, for more information, call