Some weeks are just bigger than others. Last week I traveled to Washington DC along with almost 1000 SHRM volunteer leaders from around the US for the 2019 SHRM Volunteer Leader Business Meetings. This is a meeting for SHRM local chapter leaders and state council leaders to connect and learn about ways to better equip the HR community with information to help make a better workplace for a better world. There were so many takeaways… starting with SHRM’s purpose – “ELEVATE HR”! …and the vision to “build a world of work that works for all”.
The best part to me is always connecting with the people. There is something special about connecting with other volunteer leaders with a common mission. It’s a community like no other… I was representing the great state of Texas and met so many wonderful people from all over the US – Wisconsin, Michigan, Oklahoma, Florida, Ohio, and South Carolina just to name a few. On of the special highlights for me was Advocacy Day on The Hill as we promoted two bills: (1) Employer Provider Education Assistance and (2) Work Opportunity Tax Credit (WOTC). I also learned more about some of the SHRM campaigns ahead which are all centered around creating a better workplace for a better world. There is so much to talk about… but today I want to share just a few highlights”
1. Convos and Coffee: https://www.talkworkculture.com/
2. Getting Talent Back to Work: https://www.gettingtalentbacktowork.org/
3. David Windley, SHRM Board Chair shared some of the initiatives such as changing the perception of HR, Public Policy (Influence) and Thought leadership. Very inspiring leader!
4. SHRM celebrates 5 years of certification program with a commemorative gift . Are you certified?
5. SHRM has created the “Callie Zipple Award” for college student scholarships in her memory. Very nice to see this…
6. There will be more focus on retention, memberships, college students and certification. Stay tuned!
7. Karin Foster shared an inspiration message around 2020 Vision Leadership using her ABC’s (Ask for help, Be Kind, and Choose Community over Cliques), Inspiring!
8. SHRM is rolling out PMQ (People Manager Qualification) to better develop leaders. Coming in 2020!
9. SHRM continues to grow the advocacy team to support the HR community. Join the A team here…
10. Lastly, Johnny C. Taylor Jr., President and CEO inspired everyone with “State of the Society”, SHRM Guiding Principles and What’s next for 2020…
When I was walking around our nations capital, I stopped to pause and shared the following on social media…
“As I stand at the Lincoln memorial overlooking the reflection of the Washington monument, I reflect on…
The gratitude I
have for our freedom,
The courage and sacrifices these great men and women
took to pave the way for us today,
The opportunity given to me by my family, my company,
and SHRM to be part of something bigger in my career,
The people I call friends that have lifted and continue
to lift me up on my journey… and to our almighty God for his mercy and
My heart is full of gratitude as I stand in a place of solitude in our nations capital.
I am honored to represent Texas SHRM District 2 and look forward to taking a deeper dive into these takeaways with chapter leaders, my customers, our company, and others interested in helping us drive SHRM’s vision to build a world of work that works for all. Join me and others to be purposeful in all we do to “Elevate HR” in 2020!
Did you attend? What were your takeaways? Share below… Want to see some highlights? Click here for a 3 minute video
Quote of the week: “Become the Go-To for All Things Work.” -Johnny C. Taylor Jr.
Call to Action: Start a conversation about how you can drive a better workplace. Is there something on this list that resonates with you? If so, send me a note and let’s start a conversation. Looking forward to sharing more as we drive the vision in 2020 for Texas SHRM and the HR community!
This has been A Relocation Minute on “Takeways from SHRM VLBM” with Bruce Waller, for more information, call 972-389-5673, or email email@example.com or check out my social media Facebook and Twitter page. Also, check out www.BruceWaller.com to review my leadership book “Find Your Lane” and my 5-year Leadership Journal “Milemarkers” available on amazon.