Tomorrowland is a Belgian electronic dance music festival held in Boom, Belgium. Tomorrowland was first held in 2005 and now stretches over two weekends… and usually sells out in minutes. As I think about tomorrow, I think about about our new world of work… Tomorrow is today and it’s about a new world of leading in the workplace, a new world of HR and workplace policy, a new world of sales, a new world of recruiting and relocating talent, a new world of networking and more. Tomorrowland is the future of work and the future of work is about change… Are you ready?
Change is here and we have the choice to embrace it and make a difference moving our organizations and our careers forward. It’s been a double-edged sword from the difficulty of watching people struggle with COVID 19 health challenges to economic impact. It has included family / work life integration and the challenges of a balancing act. It includes a world of zoom meetings along which has included us getting out of our comfort zones and showing others what life is really like in our homes. It’s also been a joy to slow down and spend more time with family to do life together, while picking up hobbies we’ve always wanted to learn.
As we move into the new world of relocating talent, we should prepare to see new challenges and new experiences! I was on a webinar last week listening to leaders in mobility share some of the challenges they are experiencing from both a US and international perspective trying to manage relocating talent in the workplace.
Some of the things I heard from relocating talent during this pandemic included:
- Policy reviews and updates are ahead to make sure companies are cost conscious as well as competitive to recruit the best talent,
- The importance of clear communication lines have been heightened,
- Collaboration with stakeholders within the organization have increased.
- Compassion and Empathy is a big part of the process.
As I think about the new world of relocating talent for HR, Talent Acquisition, and Mobility professionals, I think about so many exciting opportunities ahead for everyone in the workplace. Here are a few below:
- Virtual Surveys… Before COVID-19, many of us were already performing “virtual” moving surveys to plan for the household goods move, but it was looked at more of a convenience for the moving company. Today it’s all about safety for employees and moving providers. The key to success will be having moving partners that provide accuracy and a great experience for the employee and company. This includes real estate tours, temp housing, and other areas of relocation including “Office” moving too!
- Increased Self-Move Portals: Companies will be moving from a LUMP SUM relocation to a partnership with relocation companies to help support “Managed Cap” initiations. After tax reform, many companies moved to a lump sums model since the relocation was no longer a tax favored transaction. In Tomorrowland, they will be moving back to provide employees with access to relocation marketplace portals with vetted providers and options to help with relocation that align with their budget. Companies still want to give employees choice, but they need help supporting their relocation needs with trusted partners during the process.
- More Exception Based Policies: Empathy and Individuality is more important than ever. Companies will set the base in a policy, then make exceptions based on employee needs. This can be driven by distance, family size, special needs children, or other family challenges to get relocated. Talent acquisition will play a key role as they discuss in the recruiting process.
- More Focus on Safety and Well Being: Today, our world looks different as we see our moving crews wearing masks, gloves, and practicing social distancing while moving families. We are asking questions before the move to make sure everyone is healthy, we are signing forms and going through the process to make all of our employees safe. …and a smile seems to be the new “handshake”. Let’s not forget to smile. It could be the most important part of the relocation – and definitely the best way to start! Connecting is so important during the process for everyone. Companies such as Pivt will be in front to help companies drive a better experience. This is a mobility app designed to improve the well-being of employee’s relocating. Check out the latest article by CEO and Co-Founder of Pivt, Lynn Greenberg called “How to make friends” in Mobility magazine. It was an honor for me to be quoted in the article! I would enjoy hearing your thoughts and perspective after reading. It’s only a 2 minute read!
- More Virtual Meetings: We can’t replace connecting in person, seeing our expressions, and the feelings we have during a conversation. Leaning in the let people we understand and are with them… However, we are all seeing that we can also save a lot of time and meet company goals and objectives with a virtual meeting like Skype, Microsoft TEAMS, and Zoom for example. The key is being willing to turn the camera on because people want and need to see each other. Now is the time to embrace this change to create a better experience!
In my book, Find Your Lane, I share the story about burning the boats… It’s a story about the importance of commitment and having a “there’s no going back” mindset. Now is the time to dream big and burn the boats… Look for new ways to elevate the customer experience working in the new world of work. Now is the time to reach out to the customer and say we are here with you and for you. Now is the time to connect with your colleagues to share stories and move into the new world of work together. Now is the time to discuss big ideas to implement into the new world of work.
The one thing that has not changed in the new world of work is our mission! It’s why we do what we do! It’s why we get up every day! It’s who we are!
If you are not associated with an organization, I want to encourage you to get involved. It is where we can take conversation offline and away from work with like minded people. If you are in Mobility. check out WorldwideERC local chapters, or if you are in HR check out SHRM local chapters, or if in recruiting, check out Talent Acquisition groups or you may just want to belong to a local book club like the one we started called “CLIMB” for business leaders in the HR space leading in the workplace to get better together. It’s more than an association, it’s a networking community to give you a sense of belonging.
Keep being mission driven as we face our challenges and make the experience the most important part of our day! We are better together, stronger together, and will get through this together!
Quote of the week: “We did not come to fear the future, we came to shape it.” Barack Obama
Call to Action: Do you belong to an association outside the workplace? If not, make it one of your action items this week to ask others about where they network in this new world of work? If you do belong, share an association that helps you below… Let’s not just get through this pandemic, let’s get through it together and shape a better world for tomorrow!
This has been A Relocation Minute on “The future of relocating talent is here ” with Bruce Waller, for more information, call